duminică, 25 octombrie 2009

The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination

JK Rowling's Commencement Address to the Harvard graduates of 2008.
I was skeptical at first but she really impressed me and her speech is actually so much more profound than it seems at first sight. I have a new found respect for this woman and the way she lived her life and I think there are really some valuable lessons to take from this speech. Below my favorite parts:

"So why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one arena I believed I truly belonged. I was set free, because my greatest fear had been realised, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life."

"So given a Time Turner, I would tell my 21-year-old self that personal happiness lies in knowing that life is not a check-list of acquisition or achievement. Your qualifications, your CV, are not your life, though you will meet many people of my age and older who confuse the two. Life is difficult, and complicated, and beyond anyone’s total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive its vicissitudes."

"Choosing to live in narrow spaces leads to a form of mental agoraphobia, and that brings its own terrors. I think the wilfully unimaginative see more monsters. They are often more afraid."

"What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality. " - Plutarch
"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters." - Seneca

If you want to see the full speech, it is here:
http://harvardmagazine.com/commencement/the-fringe-benefits-failure-the-importance-imagination

Un comentariu:

dodos spunea...

Un speech ca inspira entuziasm si forta creatoare. L-am vazut si eu in urma cu o jumatate de an. Totusi, nu pot sa nu remarc o eroare logica pe care Steve Jobs o face atunci cand se gandeste retrospectiv la anumite evenimente din viata lui. Cred ca rationalizeaza post-pactum intamplarile care l-au condus la succesul actual, adica el inverseaza cauza cu efectul.
Oricum, ideea de carpe diem este intotdeauna laudabila.